Thank you for visiting our website. CCCSA is here to share credible information from various levels of government.
Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits provide up to 15 weeks of income replacement and is available to eligible claimants who are unable to work because of illness, injury or quarantine, to allow them time to restore their health and return to work. Canadians quarantined can apply for Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits.
Who Qualify for this EI
• you’re unable to work for medical reasons
• your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40% for at least one week
• you accumulated 600 insured hours* of work in the 52 weeks before the start of your claim or since the start of your last claim, whichever is shorter
*As an example, 600 hours are equivalent to 20 weeks of work at 30 hours a week.
Service Canada is ready to support Canadians affected by COVID-19 and placed in quarantine, with the following support actions:
• The one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits will be waived for new claimants who are quarantined so they can be paid for the first week of their claim, applicant will need to request by phone on 1-800-206-7218
• Establishing a new dedicated toll-free phone number to support inquiries related to waiving the EI sickness benefits waiting period
• People claiming EI sickness benefits due to quarantine will not have to provide a medical certificate
• People who cannot complete their claim for EI sickness benefits due to quarantine may apply later and have their EI claim backdated to cover the period of delay
Important: If you are directly affected by the COVID-19 because you are sick or quarantined and you have not yet applied for EI benefits, please submit your application before contacting us. This will allow us to better serve you and prevent delays in establishing your claim.
If you have already completed the application for EI sickness benefits whether you are sick or quarantined and would like to have the one-week waiting period waived, call the new toll-free phone number below. It is important to note that no other request will be actioned on this phone line. We will take action only for sick or quarantined clients affected by the COVID-19 for which the application for sickness benefits has been filed.
• Telephone: 1-833-381-2725 (toll-free) • Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-529-3742
If you are experiencing symptoms such as cough, fever, difficulty breathing or you are in self- isolation or quarantine, do not visit or enter any Service Canada office. As an alternative, you may access our services online or by calling 1 800 O-Canada.
The information above should be used as a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits as soon as possible and let a Service Canada agent determine if you’re eligible.
You can access to the tutorial video by clicking the link below: https://www.loom.com/share/a21f4691f9fa4b2eb86a2a75d348b2a5
If you would like to connect with us, please feel free to reach out to us by phone, message or leave a comment below. =] CCCSA: (403)265-8446
Please note that CCCSA is sharing information only and we are not involved in providing these government initiatives.
If medical certificate is required, please inquire your family doctor：
Source Service Canada – Sickness EI
[Updated as of March 23, 2020]